Saturday, January 21, 2012

The Love Story, Continuing on!

Last week I told you all about how the wonderful Mr. S proposed to me. 
Now I'm here to tell you what came next.

I went into wedding planning hyperdrive.
It was like crack to me.
In fact, it still is...I have four wedding boards on pinterest. FOUR.
We applied for Steven's fiance visa, and bureaucracy reared its ugly head.
Our visa application was rejected because when filling out the form about our previous spouses, Steven and I wronte "N/A" instead of "None."
Really, America? Really?!
And so, the plan to spend the beginning of our marriage in Germany was born.
Still, with no Fiance visa, Steven had to leave Southern California in March and head on back home to Germany. We made plans for him to return in June on a renewed tourist visa so that we could get married.

I want to say that saying goodbye to him at the airport was one of the more difficult moments of my life...but the truth was it happened too fast to be difficult.

I pulled my Volvo up to the curb at the terminal, managed to put the car in park to give the love of my life a tearful kiss goodbye. Traffic had made us a bit late to the airport, so it was mere moments before he had to rush off to go catch his flight. Ushered away by a traffic cop, I got back in my car and drove off with tears in my eyes, trying to keep my vision clear enough to prevent from crashing.
For those of you who have ever navigated the 405 freeway, you know that it's important to keep your full attention on the road. 

I'm sure I'm not the first to say this, but long distance is TOUGH.
With the time difference, I was only able to talk to him for a few minutes each morning before heading to school or work, or very late at night as I was falling asleep. I didn't understand how the three months we'd spent together felt like nothing more than a week or two, and the months ahead of me I was about to spend without him seemed to be an eternity.

And then came the problem of the visa.
We were made aware that when Steven returned to the States on a tourist visa, the customs officer would be alerted that he had applied for a fiance visa and had been rejected. Because of this, the customs officer would have grounds to deny Steven entrance to the country, for fear that he was trying to stay illegally.

It seemed as though we wouldn't be able to get married.
All of our plans would have been for nothing.
I was a wreck.

But, the crazy kids that we are, we decided to risk it. Not even knowing if he would be allowed in, I continued picking out flower arrangements and cake flavors and praying and praying and praying that everything would work out and I could marry the love of my life. 

Three months passed.
When the evening came to pick Steven up in Los Angeles, I was a nervous wreck. He didn't have a cell phone, I couldn't call him, I seriously had no idea what was going on. I was terrified I would hear my name on the intercom and be summoned to some secondary inspection office where I would be notified Steven was on his way back to Germany. I was actually near shaking as I stood among the crowd of people waiting for the return of their loved ones.

I waited for almost two hours.

And then I saw my gorgeous, amazing German man walk through those doors. I beamed and bawled and collapsed into his arms. 

"I'm here," He whispered in my ear. "I'm here, honey, we can get married now." 

And get married, quite obviously, we did.
To be continued.

P.S. Enter to win this adorable cameo hair accessory RIGHT NOW!

No comments:


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...