I didn’t feel like cooking a complicated recipe the other day, so I looked into my fridge to see what I had and decided to just improvise. What I came up with was so freaking good, we’ve made it once again already! The best part…it is SO easy!
Three Cheese Pesto Pasta with Vegetables
What you need:
- Pasta of your choice, in the quantity of your choice. I used whole wheat bow ties!
- 1 1/2 cups mascarpone or ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Gouda or Fontina cheese
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil (for the pan – just a splash)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- handful of fresh flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- Coarse salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3 Tablespoons classic pesto
Note: I totally improvised this recipe, so these quantities are not exact. Feel free to improvise as well!
What to do:
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add the pasta and let cook. Cook the pasta Al Dente.
- Put all three cheeses in a large bowl with the butter. Microwave for 10 seconds to soften and then mix together well.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add a splash of olive oil, garlic, and onions. Let cook for 3 minutes or so. Add cherry tomatoes and parsley and cook one minute more. Cover skillet, returning to stir every minute until cooked through.
- Drain the pasta. Add to the large bowl with the cheese and coat evenly. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Then add the contents of the skillet to the bowl.
- Add 3 tablespoons (more or less depending on preference) of classic basil pesto to the bowl and toss the pasta. Serve!
yum yum yum yum yum!
This was so simple, so easy, and so yummy. What’s great is that this dish can be made a hundred ways. Want more veggies? Sauté some mushrooms, zucchini, and peas with the tomatoes. Want more meat? Throw in some chicken breast or sausage. You can add more cheese, less cheese…the freedom is yours!